Website The Johns Hopkins Mathematical Institute for Data Science
The Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of the Mathematical Institute for Data Science (MINDS). The Director will be appointed as a full-time tenured faculty member in the Whiting School of Engineering and will be encouraged to remain active in research, with strategic leadership of the Institute as their top priority.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an accomplished scholar with leadership experience to further strengthen an exceptional interdisciplinary research institute at the nation’s first research university. The best candidates will embody the intellectual distinction, entrepreneurial capacity, collaborative spirit, transparency, inclusiveness, and creativity that characterize the School’s culture and will bring a scholarly record deserving appointment as tenured professor at The Johns Hopkins University.
The new Director will be a proven, entrepreneurial leader who can bring faculty, staff, and students together to pursue a compelling vision of MINDS as an international hub for foundational work in the data science that underlies AI and as a site of innovation, teaching, and translation. They will have an exceptional track record in the mathematical foundations in Data Science and related fields. They will also possess strong skills for mentoring junior faculty and will promote the interests of the Institute. Intellectual curiosity and fundraising experience are valued. They will have a dossier that represents a distinguished track record of scholarship and teaching; a passionate commitment to research, discovery, and application; and an interest in and success at academic administration. Expected educational background and qualifications include:
• An earned doctorate in an area such as data science, mathematics or statistics, computer science, electrical and computer engineering, or a closely related field and a scholarly record deserving appointment as tenured professor at The Johns Hopkins University
• Recognized leadership in their respective field with a distinguished national and international reputation for research and education
• Excellent communication skills in both internal and external interactions
• Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion at all levels among faculty, students, and staff, along with measurable and sustained impact on the diversity and inclusiveness of organizations they have led or been part of
• Leadership and administrative experience within a complex research environment or in national/international organizations connected to their respective field
The Whiting School of Engineering and MINDS are committed to building a diverse educational environment, and women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
The University promotes Affirmative Action for minorities, women, individuals who are disabled, and veterans. Johns Hopkins University is a drug-free, smoke-free workplace.
Applicants should submit their CV and a letter of interest outlining their research and leadership experience and their contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Review of credentials will begin promptly and will continue until the appointment is finalized. Every effort will be made to ensure candidate confidentiality.
Salary and Terms: Competitive
Application Process: The Whiting School of Engineering has engaged Opus Partners (www.opuspartners.net) to support the
recruitment of the MINDS Director. Craig Smith, Partner, and Jeff Stafford, Senior Associate, are leading the search. Please send application materials, nominations, and inquiries to [email protected]
Application URL: https://adobe.ly/3SDcUDN
Application email: [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit adobe.ly.